We are looking for a Support Services Manager to join our local authority client
Responsible to: Head of Unit
Responsible for: Staff that provide cross unit support functions within the unit
Purpose and Values of Service
The Business Support Team is responsible for the County Council’s support to Businesses throughout the County. This includes the Public Protection Service, County Farms, Enterprise Centres, Business advice and signposting, the new Single Point of Contact phone number, the Business Loan scheme and the County’s Business Environment Network. The service works closely with local businesses, business representative organisations and economic regeneration partners and partnerships to identify business needs and to plan, commission and deliver a range of business support services to meet these needs.
The main purpose of this post is to provide support functions relating to administration, intelligence services, research and performance. The post-holder will take a lead in translating decisions of management into quality procedures, and ensuring those procedures are kept up to date and are followed, ensuring that business processes within the unit are 'fit for purpose' and that reports and correspondence produced by the unit are of satisfactory, consistent quality.
1. To translate the decisions of the management team into quality procedures that reflect them and keep those procedures updated as changes take place.
2. To devise a programme for, and carry out routine quality checks on work by operational staff and on operational processes and provide input to the Head of the unit and Principal Officers to ensure quality feedback is given, training needs are identified and quality is improved.
3. To oversee quality of written reports and correspondence to ensure these comply with policy and procedure.
4. To assist in performance management of the whole of the unit including regular, routine investigation / review of reasons for any failures to meet service level agreements.
5. To monitor and report information, both quantitative and qualitative, and provide analytical comment, relating to performance management for managers and staff in the unit.
6. To lead and direct a diverse team of staff who provide support services across the unit. This will include administrative staff that are not based in individual teams, and those in technical support roles such as the Intelligence Unit, and will involve the recruitment, supervision and development of staff, organizing workloads and managing performance.
7. To manage the production by the Intelligence Unit of the annual strategic assessment for the unit to ensure it adequately reflects both the changes to the market and the achievements of the unit in the previous year and that predictions for the next year are soundly based in evidence.
8. To act as a “knowledge officer” in terms of storage and retrieval of items relating to interpretation of legislation and policy decisions relating to regulation of claims management businesses as well as identifying areas where there are knowledge gaps and knowledge retention risks.
9. To produce and maintain a training database for the unit.
10. To organize training for staff in the unit, and on occasions provide induction / bespoke training.
11. To oversee health & safety and administrative functions in the unit, ensuring that appropriate procedures are in place and operating effectively.
12. To co-ordinate administrative arrangements for the accommodation / leases for the unit, including liaison with property services and legal services as required.
13. Co-ordination of recruitment for the unit including liaison with other county council services as required.
14. Based on management views of risks to the unit, prepare the unit’s quarterly risk management reports.
15. To use the SAP financial tracking system to identify expenditure trends, shortfalls and advising managers in the unit accordingly. To provide advice and support on financial procedures to managers within unit.
16. To undertake any other duties required by management, which are commensurate with the grading of the post.
Possess degree or equivalent qualification or experience.
Basic audit qualification (such as lead assessor training) or willingness to undertake within a specified period.
Project Management Qualification PRINCE 2 or equivalent or willingness to undertake within a specified period
Knowledge and Experience
Experience of working within quality framework, ideally with involvement in drafting and auditing procedures.
Extensive experience in collating, analyzing and reporting on qualitative and quantitative data.
Demonstrate an ability to lead, support and motivate a team of technical & support staff.
Demonstrate good project management skills
Experience of using SAP (or similar financial system) for tracking / reporting
Experience of administering a training / knowledge database.
Experience of recruiting, training and managing staff.
Experience of providing excellent customer service to members of the public.
Excellent organizational skills
Excellent written communication skills
Ability to work under pressure and prioritize competing work tasks whilst maintaining the ability to pay attention to detail
Excellent verbal communication skills
Demonstrable numeracy skills
Flexibility, tact, approachability
Please send your CV and covering letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about this and similar roles please visit www.kenyonblock.com